Frequently Asked Questions About The IME Questionnaire
May 23, 2017
BY: Domhnall O'Cathain
Many people aren’t aware of how extensive the IME questionnaire is. Here are some of the common questions and answers about the questionnaire:
Q.Why does the other side get a doctor to examine me? Don’t they already have my medical records?
- Yes, they do have your medical records. However the system allows the insurance company’s lawyer to hire a doctor to examine you and write a report.
Q.Will they ask one of my treating doctors to examine me and write a report?
Q.Why not? Wouldn’t that be fair?
- Yes, it would be fair, but insurance companies don’t stay in business by being fair.
Q. So, who will examine me?
- The insurance company will give the defense lawyer a limited list of doctors the lawyer can use.
Q. Do I go to this doctor’s office to get examined?
- Maybe. Sometimes it will be at the doctor’s office and sometimes it will be in a space off the highway where they can move a lot of appointments.
Q.What happens when I get there?
- They will give you forms to fill out. They sometimes call it a questionnaire or an intake form.
Q. I just give them my name and my health insurance information?
- No. A lot more than that.
Q. Like what?
Answers to Questions such as:
- Were you injured in a car accident or a workplace?
- Were you wearing a seatbelt?
- Did you lose time from work?
- Were you involved in other accidents?
- What were you doing when you were injured?
- What is your social security number?
Q. My regular doctor never asks me questions like that. Why is this doctor asking me those questions? I don’t understand!
- What you need to understand is that the doctor is the insurance company’s doctor. For example, there is often a question about what treatment other doctors have done for you but you are only given a one-line space for your answer.
Q. So what do I do? I spent 6 months going to therapy. I can’t write everything on one line. What do these forms look like?
- Look at this document. This is sample **
Q. If this doctor isn’t my doctor, why does the doctor want my social security number? That line is nearly as long as the line to explain what my doctors did!
- You do not have to give the doctor your social security number.
Q. Anything else I can leave blank?
Q. Like what?
- Come in to my office next week and we can go through it all.