Common Causes of Car Accidents
April 14, 2022
BY: Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O'Cathain & O'Cathain
Car Accident Attorney
Unfortunately, a car accident can happen at any time. Most drivers have experienced a car accident at some point in their life, even if it’s just a small fender-bender. However, car accidents can also be extremely serious and may require the help of an experienced legal team by your side. Here are some common car accidents causes.
Direct Issues Caused by a Driver
Drivers are human and make mistakes that sometimes lead to a car accident. Here are a few scenarios where the other driver is usually completely at fault:
- Distracted Driving: Although often spoken about in the context of texting and driving, distracted driving can refer to anything that takes the driver off the focus of the road. Situations such as eating or drinking, turning the radio station, or reaching for an item in the passenger seat can all be distracted driving.
- Driving While Under the Influence: Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a serious issue and there’s a reason why it’s illegal. Such drivers often have slower reaction times and may misjudge their driving abilities.
- Reckless Driving: Not only will reckless drivers often break laws such as going over the speed limit but they may also pass other drivers when there isn’t enough space.
- Driving with a Defective Vehicle: While it’s not always possible for a driver to be warned of every potential issue with their vehicle, warnings such as brake lights or their engine light being turned on are strong indicators that their vehicle needs to have a maintenance check. Failure to do so may lead to an accident.
Many times there may not be a clear offender when it comes to a car accident or the resulting accident may be a combination of different factors. Some of these causes may include:
- The Weather: The weather can be a big proponent of car accidents with winter storms often being a major source. Even a slightly icy road may be too much for your average car to handle and a severe winter storm may even take out semi-trucks. Additionally, even rain can lead to a car accident especially when added with other factors.
- Driving at Night: Driving at night can be a stressful experience even when the area you’re driving in is brightly lit. For dark highways, driving at night can be a serious issue.
- Road Conditions: Not every road is made equal and some roads’ poor infrastructure may lead to a car accident.
- Other Drivers: Sometimes there are scenarios where the car in front of you may cause you to crash, but only because they were trying to prevent an accident themselves. For example, a reckless driver may quickly slow down for a turn without using their turn signal causing the car in front of you to have to swerve into the other lane. In doing so, you may find yourself slamming the brakes in reaction, causing an accident behind you or hitting the reckless driver in front of you. Such a scenario may require an experienced car accident attorney to show you’re not at fault.
There are many situations that can lead to a car accident and thus might require the right legal representation. For best results, it’s recommended to contact our friends at the Law Office of Daniel E. Stuart, P.A.