Family Lawyer Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Family Lawyer Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Family Lawyer Englewood Cliffs, NJ

If you’re going through a child custody battle, you should consult a family lawyer in Englewood Cliffs, NJ that residents trust. Lawyers from Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O’Cathain & O’Cathain, LLC know that a child custody battle is a tough process, and you don’t want to go through it alone. Here are some common mistakes to avoid during the process.

Not Being Careful About What You Post on Social Media

A child custody battle is emotionally draining, so it’s understandable that you may want to vent your frustrations. However, you should avoid talking about your case on Facebook and other social media pages. If you talk poorly about your former spouse and use foul language, you could look like an unstable parent. Additionally, you shouldn’t post any photos of you drinking at a bar or engaging in other behavior that may be deemed inappropriate. Don’t post anything on social media that you wouldn’t want the court to see.

Refusing to Compromise With the Other Parent

Even if you and your former spouse aren’t on good terms, you shouldn’t put your ill feelings above the best interests of your children. If you refuse to communicate cordially with your former spouse and not compromise on any matters, the judge may think that you care more about getting back at your former partner rather than the well-being of your children.

Disobeying a Court Order

Before your child custody battle is complete, the judge may issue several temporary court orders. If you disobey any of these orders, the judge will find that very disrespectful and use that against you during the child custody proceedings. However, if the judge issues a temporary visitation schedule that doesn’t work for you, discuss the issue with your family lawyer in Englewoods Cliffs, NJ. He or she will talk to the judge and try to convince him or her to make the necessary changes.

Taking Your Kids on Vacation Without Consent

In the midst of a stressful child custody battle, you may want to take your kids on out of town for a few days to relax and have fun. However, you shouldn’t do this before asking the other parent for permission. If you take your kids on vacation without consent, the judge could view that as kidnapping.

Speaking Poorly About Your Former Spouse in Front of Your Kids

It’s understandable that you may be angry and upset with your former spouse. However, that doesn’t mean you should make insulting comments about him or her in front of your children. They’re already going through a difficult time, and hearing you talking poorly about their parent will just make them feel more uncomfortable. 


Listen to Attorney Francesca O’Cathain Discuss the Important Facets of Family Cases Involving Children with Disabilities:


Refusal to Give Child Support

If a judge during your case has ordered you to pay child support then it is in your best interest to do so. Those who opt to not pay child support will look negative to a court. Not helping out with child support shows a judge that you are uninterested in supporting the future of your children. Even if you are interested in your children’s future, it’s best to ensure that they have the best possible support going forward. This will undoubtedly affect the status of your case for trying to gain custody of your children.

Lack of Time Spent with Children

A family lawyer in Englewood Cliffs, Nj will tell you to spend time with your children. In court, the judge will have records of how much time you spend with your children and those who fail to spend much time with their children will look disinterested to a judge. If you are someone who looks uninterested in their children then this drastically can affect your chances of having custody of your children in the future. 

Sending the Kids Off to a New School

There are times where one parent decides during their child custody case to move their children to another school. This is generally because one of the parents has moved to a new area that is affiliated with a different school district. However, moving children to a new school, especially in the middle of a school year could spell challenging circumstances for the children involved. When children move schools they are suddenly placed into a new environment away from their previous comfort zone of friends and teachers. Change is difficult for all to go through and that is especially true of children. Lawyers from Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O’Cathain & O’Cathain, LLC understand these difficulties and how they will affect your case going forward. 

Living With a New Love Interest

Moving on to another love interest and having your children spend time with them is something that should be considered very carefully. When children are thrusted into spending time with a new love interest of one of their parents this can cause confusion and strong emotions. This is a major change in their lives to see one of their parents moving on from the other. It’s best to not put this on them as it may cause issues. A family lawyer in Englewood Cliffs, Nj would recommend you to not live with a new love interest and to be very careful with how you introduce your children to that person.

Not Keeping Documents

Keeping track of documents is crucial in a child custody case. For example, if there are legitimate concerns that the other parent has done something harmful then having a document of evidence of that is very important in your case. Other documents could include a record of who is spending time with your children at what points. The importance of a document such as a time spent document could show that one parent doesn’t spend that much time with the children and therefore may be disinterested or unavailable for them.

If you need assistance with your child custody battle, schedule a consultation with a family lawyer in Englewood Cliffs, NJ today. Call Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O’Cathain & O’Cathain, LLC today.

  • Free Consultation


      Client Review

      “Im well pleased with the work of Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesenvich, O’Cathain and O’Cathain did in my accident case. Domhall O’Cathain was my lawyer in my accident and did a great job as my lawyer. Keep up the good work Mr. O’Cathain”
      Client Review