child custody dispute

My Ex Won’t Abide by Custody Arrangements, What Do I Do?

May 21, 2021
BY: Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O'Cathain & O'Cathain

My Ex Won’t Abide by Custody Arrangements, What Do I Do?

child custody lawyer

After a divorce you succeeded in getting custody of your child and you have received the court order that is going to detail all of the child custody arrangement. But what you do with your ex has consistently refused to follow all the details of the custody orders and you are getting frustrated?

If your ex does any of the following things they may not be following child custody orders.

  • Constantly picks the child up too late or it turns them home later than agreed.
  • Keeps the child overnight despite the court order stating that they cannot do that.
  • Badmouth you in front of your child.
  • Takes advantage of any vagueness in the child custody order to gain more time than they are allotted with the child.
  • Schedule fun activities to do with the child during periods when the child should be with you.

Divorce is a stressful act especially if your ex refuses to abide by custody orders as the court laid them out. When you are obtaining child custody you have the right to make decisions for your child and you are their legal guardian. This also gives you certain rights that you can take advantage of if your ex will not obey the custody orders.

 You can have your child custody lawyer such as the ones available at Farkas & Crowley PA send a letter to your ex. Oftentimes is the first step with getting asked to write up a forceful letter that informs the other parent they must obey the court order or face serious legal penalties. This is sometimes all it takes to force the other parent to obey the court orders regarding the child’s care and custody terms.

You can also request mediation services from the Family Services Office, and you can get in touch with them by contacting the court where your child custody orders were made and see if they have an office of Family Services that can help you with mediation. This could help you and your ex resolve issues in the custody agreement without having to go to court.

You can ask the judge to make changes to the custody agreement, especially if your ex repeatedly breaks the agreement’s terms. You can also file a motion of contempt in court with the help of a child custody lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL, and if your ex is found guilty they may face fines or sanctions, perhaps even briefly be imprisoned for breaking the court order. 

You can also call the police, though this is a last resort option of dealing with an ex who is breaking child custody terms. You should have a certified copy of the child custody orders on hand when you ask the police to intervene and document everything that has led to this moment for later. 

Your child custody lawyer should have access to everything that shows proof of your ex breaking the custody agreement.