Personal Injury Lawyer Hackensack, NJ
Personal Injury Lawyer Hackensack, NJ
If you suffered an injury because of someone else’s negligence, you should get in touch with a personal injury lawyer Hackensack, NJ residents trust. Getting injured due to another party’s carelessness is devastating, and you deserve compensation for that. A lawyer can help you pursue a lawsuit against the negligent party and stand up for your rights.
Common Damages in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you suffered a personal injury, you may be entitled to receive compensation for a wide range of benefits, including:
- Medical Treatment: If you receive compensation from a personal injury award, it will most likely cover the medical costs associated with the accident. This may include your hospital bills, doctor’s visits, prescription medications and rehabilitation therapy.
- Loss of Income: If your injury has forced you to miss work, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your lost wages. If your injury is severe enough to prevent you from ever performing your job again, you may also receive compensation for loss of earning capacity.
- Property Loss: If any of your belongings, such as a car, sustained damage during the accident, you may receive compensation for the repairs. If your property couldn’t be saved, you may receive the fair market value for it.
- Emotional Distress: Some accidents don’t just cause physical injuries. They also result in emotional injuries. For example, if you were in a car accident, you may feel anxious and afraid of getting into a vehicle again. You may be able to receive compensation for your emotional injuries.
- Pain and Suffering: If you suffered ongoing pain and discomfort from the accident, a personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ may be able to help you obtain compensation for that. For instance, if you suffered a broken leg in a slip and fall accident and now walk with a limp, you may be entitled to pain and suffering damages.
Statute of Limitations for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you have suffered an injury during an accident, you have a limited amount of time to bring a lawsuit. In the state of New Jersey, you have two years to pursue a legal claim. After that deadline has passed, you will no longer be entitled to receive compensation.
That’s why you should discuss your case with a reputable personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. He or she will evaluate your case and assist you in filing a timely claim. Your lawyer will also help you gather evidence and identify key witnesses to strengthen your case.
What to Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you suffered injuries at the hand of someone else’s negligence, you should speak to a personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ about pursuing compensation. However, with so many different lawyers out there, it can be stressful to hire the right one. Here are some important qualities to look for in a lawyer.
- Experienced: The lawyer you work with shouldn’t just have extensive experience in personal injury law. He or she should also have experience representing cases similar to yours. For example, if you suffered injuries while under a doctor’s care, you should hire a lawyer who has experience handling medical malpractice cases.
- Good listener. Your personal injury lawyer should have impeccable listening skills. The better your lawyer listens to what you have to say, the more he or she can do for you. When you speak to a lawyer, pay attention to how he or she communicates and responds to you. Does he or she put away distractions, like smartphones, and always looks you in the eye? Does the lawyer take notes and asks you plenty of questions about your case?
- Honest. It’s also important to work with a personal injury lawyer who is completely truthful. He or she shouldn’t sugarcoat anything. For example, a lawyer should be willing to tell you the weaknesses in your case. Beware of lawyers who promise you big wins.
- Assertive. Negotiating a fair settlement with an insurance company isn’t an easy task. Insurance companies care about their bottom line first and won’t give up money so easily. That’s why it’s important to hire an assertive personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ. He or she shouldn’t be intimidated by the insurance company and work hard to get you fair compensation.
- Compassion. Suffering an injury due to another person’s carelessness can be devastating. In addition to your physical injuries, you might experience emotional distress. As such, it’s essential to select a lawyer who is compassionate and can sympathize with what you’re going through.
- Skilled With Trials. Most personal injury lawsuits never make it to a courtroom. However, that doesn’t mean your case will never go to trial. If the insurance company isn’t willing to budge on a fair settlement, it may be necessary to go to trial. It’s critical to hire a personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ who has plenty of experience with trials and feels comfortable speaking in front of a judge and jury.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases
When someone suffers an injury because of another person’s negligence, a personal injury case can result. Here are the most common types of personal injury cases a personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ often deals with:
- Car accidents. Car accidents make up a large percentage of personal injury cases in the U.S. While some accidents can result from poor weather and road conditions, the majority of them are due to driver negligence. Common causes of vehicle accidents include driver distraction, speeding, driver fatigue, drunk driving and tailgating
- Medical malpractice. When a doctor or other medical professional provides treatment that falls below the appropriate standard of care, the patient could suffer an injury. Medical malpractice can result from misdiagnosis, surgical errors, medication mistakes and delayed diagnosis.
- Truck accidents. Truck accidents may not occur as frequently as regular car accidents, but they’re more likely to result in life-threatening injuries. Commercial trucks are much larger and heavier than passenger vehicles, so they can cause more destruction. Besides driver fatigue, distraction and speeding, truck accidents can result from overloading cargo, mechanical defects and inadequate training.
- Slip and fall accidents. Property owners are responsible for keeping their premises safe for other people. When they fail to do that, people can get seriously injured. For example, if a grocery store owner or manager fails to clean up a liquid spill promptly and a customer slips and falls on it, the grocery store will be held liable.
- Dog bites. Dog bites can lead to many severe injuries, including puncture wounds, eye injuries, nerve damage, scars and rabies. In New Jersey, if a dog bites another person, the owner will be held legally responsible.
- Workplace accidents. Not many people go into work expecting to get injured, but it can happen. Sometimes workplace accidents can result from employer negligence and sometimes they can result from the worker’s own carelessness. Common types of workplace accidents include falls, machine entanglement, vehicle collisions, fires and assault.
- Wrongful death. Just like the name suggests, a wrongful death case can result when a person acts carelessly and causes the death of someone else. Wrongful deaths can result from many types of accidents, from medical malpractice to care accidents. The family members of the deceased have a right to bring a wrongful death claim to receive compensation for funeral and burial expenses and other costs.