Personal Injury Lawyer Hackensack, NJ
Personal Injury Lawyer Hackensack, NJ
If you suffered an injury because of someone else’s negligence, you should get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ from Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O’Cathain & O’Cathain, LLC. Getting injured due to another party’s carelessness is devastating, and you deserve compensation for that. A lawyer can help you pursue a lawsuit against the negligent party and stand up for your rights.
Common Damages in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you suffered a personal injury, you may be entitled to receive compensation for a wide range of benefits, including:
- Medical Treatment: If you receive compensation from a personal injury award, it will most likely cover the medical costs associated with the accident. This may include your hospital bills, doctor’s visits, prescription medications and rehabilitation therapy.
- Loss of Income: If your injury has forced you to miss work, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your lost wages. If your injury is severe enough to prevent you from ever performing your job again, you may also receive compensation for loss of earning capacity.
- Property Loss: If any of your belongings, such as a car, sustained damage during the accident, you may receive compensation for the repairs. If your property couldn’t be saved, you may receive the fair market value for it.
- Emotional Distress: Some accidents don’t just cause physical injuries. They also result in emotional injuries. For example, if you were in a car accident, you may feel anxious and afraid of getting into a vehicle again. You may be able to receive compensation for your emotional injuries.
- Pain and Suffering: If you suffered ongoing pain and discomfort from the accident, a personal injury lawyer may be able to help you obtain compensation for that. For instance, if you suffered a broken leg in a slip and fall accident and now walk with a limp, you may be entitled to pain and suffering damages.
Statute of Limitations for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you have suffered an injury during an accident, you have a limited amount of time to bring a lawsuit. In the state of New Jersey, you have two years to pursue a legal claim. After that deadline has passed, you will no longer be entitled to receive compensation. That’s why you should discuss your case with a reputable personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. He or she will evaluate your case and assist you in filing a timely claim. Your lawyer will also help you gather evidence and identify key witnesses to strengthen your case.
What to Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you suffered injuries at the hand of someone else’s negligence, you should speak to a personal injury lawyer about pursuing compensation. However, with so many different lawyers out there, it can be stressful to hire the right one. Here are some important qualities to look for in a lawyer.
- Experienced. The lawyer you work with shouldn’t just have extensive experience in personal injury law. He or she should also have experience representing cases similar to yours. For example, if you suffered injuries while under a doctor’s care, you should hire a lawyer who has experience handling medical malpractice cases.
- Good listener. Your personal injury lawyer should have impeccable listening skills. The better your lawyer listens to what you have to say, the more he or she can do for you. When you speak to a lawyer, pay attention to how he or she communicates and responds to you. Does he or she put away distractions, like smartphones, and always looks you in the eye? Does the lawyer take notes and asks you plenty of questions about your case?
- Honest. It’s also important to work with a personal injury lawyer who is completely truthful. He or she shouldn’t sugarcoat anything. For example, a lawyer should be willing to tell you the weaknesses in your case. Beware of lawyers who promise you big wins.
- Assertive. Negotiating a fair settlement with an insurance company isn’t an easy task. Insurance companies care about their bottom line first and won’t give up money so easily. That’s why it’s important to hire an assertive personal injury lawyer. He or she shouldn’t be intimidated by the insurance company and work hard to get you fair compensation.
- Compassion. Suffering an injury due to another person’s carelessness can be devastating. In addition to your physical injuries, you might experience emotional distress. As such, it’s essential to select a lawyer who is compassionate and can sympathize with what you’re going through.
- Skilled With Trials. Most personal injury lawsuits never make it to a courtroom. However, that doesn’t mean your case will never go to trial. If the insurance company isn’t willing to budge on a fair settlement, it may be necessary to go to trial. It’s critical to hire a lawyer who has plenty of experience with trials and feels comfortable speaking in front of a judge and jury.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases
When someone suffers an injury because of another person’s negligence, a personal injury case can result. Here are the most common types of personal injury cases a NJ personal injury lawyer in Hackensack often deals with:
- Car accidents. Car accidents make up a large percentage of personal injury cases in the U.S. While some accidents can result from poor weather and road conditions, the majority of them are due to driver negligence. Common causes of vehicle accidents include driver distraction, speeding, driver fatigue, drunk driving and tailgating
- Medical malpractice. When a doctor or other medical professional provides treatment that falls below the appropriate standard of care, the patient could suffer an injury. Medical malpractice can result from misdiagnosis, surgical errors, medication mistakes and delayed diagnosis.
- Truck accidents. Truck accidents may not occur as frequently as regular car accidents, but they’re more likely to result in life-threatening injuries. Commercial trucks are much larger and heavier than passenger vehicles, so they can cause more destruction. Besides driver fatigue, distraction and speeding, truck accidents can result from overloading cargo, mechanical defects and inadequate training.
- Slip and fall accidents. Property owners are responsible for keeping their premises safe for other people. When they fail to do that, people can get seriously injured. For example, if a grocery store owner or manager fails to clean up a liquid spill promptly and a customer slips and falls on it, the grocery store will be held liable.
- Dog bites. Dog bites can lead to many severe injuries, including puncture wounds, eye injuries, nerve damage, scars and rabies. In New Jersey, if a dog bites another person, the owner will be held legally responsible.
- Workplace accidents. Not many people go into work expecting to get injured, but it can happen. Sometimes workplace accidents can result from employer negligence and sometimes they can result from the worker’s own carelessness. Common types of workplace accidents include falls, machine entanglement, vehicle collisions, fires and assault.
- Wrongful death. Just like the name suggests, a wrongful death case can result when a person acts carelessly and causes the death of someone else. Wrongful deaths can result from many types of accidents, from medical malpractice to care accidents. The family members of the deceased have a right to bring a wrongful death claim to receive compensation for funeral and burial expenses and other costs.
Five Things to Consider When You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer
When you or a loved one has been hurt as the result of negligence or willfulness of another,, you may want to hire a personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ, such as Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O’Cathain & O’Cathain, LLC. Here are five things to consider when hiring an attorney.
Interview Three to Four Attorneys Before Choosing One
While it may seem appealing to hire the first personal injury lawyer you speak with, it’s often wisest to interview several lawyers before you decide which one you want representing you. Consider how much they charge, how often they will be in communication with you, how much experience they have in cases similar to yours and how well you “click.”
Ask Questions About Their Experience and Success Rate
Have they been practicing law for three years or 30? How many cases like yours have they taken to trial and won? How many have they settled instead? How many cases like yours have they lost in court? What percentage of their cases are personal injury cases like yours? Who is your typical client? Asking these questions of your personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ, such as Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O’Cathain & O’Cathain, LLC can help you choose the best attorney for you.
Keep Your Finances in Mind
You may want to hire the crème de la crème of lawyers, but your bank account will only pay for a skim milk attorney. While finding the best personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ, is important, it’s crucial for your wellbeing that you not overextend your finances.
Fortunately, many personal injury attorneys offer a free consultation and work on a contingency basis, meaning they don’t get paid unless they win your case, at which point they’ll take a percentage of the money you win.
Ask How Often They Go to Court Versus Settling
A large percentage of lawyers have never gone to court. They rely on negotiations and settlements to get the job done. Under some circumstances, it may be better to go to court if the other party’s insurance company decides to play hardball. You don’t want to go to trial if your attorney has little experience in that regard.
Find Out How Often You’ll Hear From Them
Some personal injury lawyers in Hackensack, NJ will be in weekly contact with you as your case progresses. Others will wait until you call them to give you updates. Some may only provide information over the phone, while some may be comfortable emailing you. Others might insist that all correspondence be in writing to create a paper trail. Make sure you choose an attorney whose communication style matches your own.
When You Need a Personal Injury Attorney
When you get injured because of someone’s negligence, filing a lawsuit may be the correct decision. Whether you should contact a personal injury attorney to get the legal ball rolling depends on various circumstances. Here are a few reasons why you should hire a professional to turn the facts of your situation into a court case.
Your Injury Is Serious
If your injury is minor, avoiding litigation may be the wisest decision. It might not be worth the effort and expense of filing a suit. Suing does make sense, however, when the damage you sustain is severe. Your pain and suffering alone could be enough to justify taking the matter before a judge. It may be tricky to quantify this variable, but personal injury attorneys are adept at attaching a dollar figure to these types of unfortunate circumstances.
Your Medical Bills Are Too Expensive
When you receive treatment for your physical condition, medical bills quickly start coming your way. It doesn’t take long before these charges get out of hand. There is no reason why you should have to endure financial hardship on top of physical suffering. Taking the responsible individual to court is a reasonable method of recovering money spent on seeking medical care.
Your Assignment of Blame Is Questionable
Even if you are faultless, some might perceive that you bear partial responsibility for the accident. It might need to be made evident to outsiders that guilt rests totally with the defendant. Maybe a witness believes you were acting in an unsafe manner. Perhaps you’ve been accused of not wearing a seatbelt during a car wreck. An experienced personal injury attorney should have the ability to mitigate allegations such as these or wield proof to dispel them entirely.
Your Settlement Is Inadequate
Depending on the nature of your incident, one or more insurance companies may be involved. In all likelihood, the first offers they give you are unfairly low. They do this because they know that beneficiaries are likely to respond with a counteroffer. You can handle insurance negotiations by yourself if you are comfortable going solo. It’s preferable, though, to have a legal representative by your side, guiding you through the process. Professional assistance is worth having when you’re trying to get insurers to offer you a higher figure.
There are many reasons why you may need a personal injury attorney fighting for your interests. Should one or more of these circumstances apply to you, hire the best legal counsel available. Contact a personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, New Jersey from Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O’Cathain & O’Cathain, LLC now for assistance.
Do’s and Dont’s After Your Accident
No matter what type of accident you experienced, you need to do several things as soon as possible afterward.
Notify Police and Other Appropriate Authorities
In some instances, it’s not necessary to involve the police. However, it’s crucial to report the accident to someone with authority in the situation. For instance, notify your supervisor if you sustain injuries at work, or the store manager if you slip and fall while shopping.
Ask that a report be made in writing. That report establishes the facts of your case, such as what time, how, and where your injury occurred; who was present, and what was done immediately afterward. This report provides key details that investigators will use to obtain hard evidence.
If your injury allows, take photos and make videos. Record your injuries, the accident scene, details from witnesses and your own account of the accident.
If you think that surveillance cameras recorded the accident, ask for a copy and tell your personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ. Surveillance systems sometimes record over previous data, and you need to obtain that evidence before it disappears.
Obtain Medical Assistance
Some injuries aren’t readily apparent but are serious nonetheless. Even if you don’t think your injuries are severe, an immediate medical assessment can catch things that, if left untreated, can develop over time into dangerous issues.
Your medical evaluation is necessary for another reason also. Throughout your personal injury claim process, you’ll be observed by investigators. Insurance companies will try to minimize the amount of damages they pay by claiming that your injuries weren’t caused by your accident, but the record of your initial medical assessment will serve as proof of your injuries.
Avoid Social Media
Even if you’re one who usually posts about most things happening in your life to your social media accounts, don’t. Investigators can find anything you post and attempt to twist it to use against you in your personal injury claim. The less you share about your accident with anyone, the better off you’ll be.
Refrain From Admitting Fault
Investigators will use the information they gather to try to show that you are responsible for your accident and not injured as severely as you claim. If you admit to any degree of fault, they’re likely to find out about it and present your statement as evidence.
Your degree of fault for your accident and resulting injury directly impacts how much compensation you might receive.
How To Choose a Lawyer
If you have been involved in a serious accident, the first thing you need to do is see a doctor. The doctor will conduct a full physical exam and might take a few images to make sure you haven’t suffered any injuries. Then, it is important for you to reach out to a personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ, such as an attorney from Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O’Cathain & O’Cathain, LLC. How can you choose the right lawyer to meet your needs?
Area of Practice
If you are looking for a lawyer, the first thing you need to think about is the area of practice. Most lawyers tend to specialize in a certain area of the law because there are so many fields from which to choose. For example, some lawyers may specialize in criminal defense while other lawyers may specialize in immigration law. If you have been involved in a serious accident, you need to find a personal injury lawyer who can help you.
Next, you need to consider the experience of the individual attorneys. If you are looking for someone who specializes in personal injury law, what prior cases have they handled? You should take a look at the results of those cases and make sure they have been positive. You may also want to talk to the lawyer to see if he or she has any experience working with a case like yours. Make sure you think about this if you are looking for a personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ.
Reviews and Ratings
Before you purchase a product online, do you take a look at reviews and ratings? You need to do the same thing if you are looking for a personal injury attorney. Take a look at what some of their prior clients have had to say. Most attorneys will have a list of references you can talk to it. That way, you can find the right lawyer to meet your needs.
Hire the Right Attorney
In the end, there are a lot of factors you need to consider if you are looking for a lawyer. If you have been involved in a serious accident, make sure you see a doctor as quickly as possible. Then, do not forget to contact a personal injury lawyer in Hackensack, NJ, such as a lawyer for Lesnevich, Marzano-Lesnevich, O’Cathain & O’Cathain, LLC, who can protect your rights and advocate for your interests.